New from Sewing Patterns by Mrs H – The Studio Backpack! With a modern design and clean lines, The Studio Backpack would make a great work bag, school bag or everyday bag.
The Studio Backpack uses a lot of bag bling. The adjustable backpack straps are fixed to the Studio using strap tabs securely attached (and riveted for extra security!) to O-rings at the top of the bag.
Short strap handles also affixed through the O-rings give you another set of options for carrying your beautiful bag. Depending on the length you choose to make your strap handles, you could also carry The Studio on your shoulder, in the crook of your elbow, or as a tote in your hand – when you’re not wearing it as a backpack, of course!
No surprise – this design is packed with pockets! On the outside, two large slip pockets that are ideal for showing off fabric panels, or customising with embroidery, patchwork or a little extra bag bling. Inside, under a secure top zipper closure, there’s a lovely large central space, zipper pocket, and slip pockets.
Designed for adventurous beginner bagineers, The Studio Backpack bag sewing pattern includes a lot of different bagmaking skills, with comprehensive instructions to guide you through as you learn these useful techniques.
For more experienced bagineers, The Studio Backpack offers excellent opportunities for customisation. You could play with patchwork, quilting or embroidery with the large outer panels, experiment with different types of hardware, or even add (even more) pockets!
12″ wide x 11.5″ high x 5″ deep (30cm x 29cm x 12.5cm)
- Easy-to-read instructions, colour photographs, and pattern pieces
- Features lots of bag bling
- Great introduction to core bagmaking techniques for adventurous beginner bagineers
- Plenty of potential for modification for more experienced bagmakers
- Full video tutorial with Mrs H on YouTube
A full video sewalong is included with this pattern
What materials will I need for this bag?
- 2/3 yard (0.6m) Exterior
- 1 1/3 yard (1.2m) contrast
- 1 yard (0.9m) lining
- 20″x36″ (51cm x 92cm) Foam Stabiliser
- 30″ x 12″ (76cm x 30.5cm) decovil light
- 2 1/4 yd (2m) Medium Weight Interfacing 1yd (90cm) wide, narrower will need more
- 1 x 14″ (35.5cm) #5 zip (cut continuous zip 16″ (41cm))
- 1 x 10″ (25.5cm) #3 zip (cut continuous zip 12″ (30cm))
- 4 x 1/2″ (12mm) purse feet
- 2 x Slim 3/4″ (18mm) magnetic snaps or 1 Slim 3/4″ (18mm) magnetic snap & 1 Half moon magnetic snap
- 4 x 1 1/2″ (3.8cm) O rings
- 4 x 1 1/4″ (2cm) rectangle rings
- 2 x 1 1/4″ (2cm) Strap sliders
- 14 x Medium Rivets: 3/8″ Caps x 5/16″ Post (9mm x 8mm)
- 11″ x 4 1/4″ (28cm x 11.5cm) bag base or thin cutting mat
- 1 x 2″ x 1/2″ (5cm x 1.2cm) scrap of foam stabiliser
- Double sided basting tape
- Zip foot & walking foot
- Wonder clips
- Fray Check
- Pressing Cloth
- Pinking Shears
- Duct Tape
- Chalk marker/erasable pen
The Studio Backpack bag sewing pattern features comprehensive instructions, pattern pieces, and colour photographs. The downloadable PDF pattern features printable pattern pieces and a text only section to save on ink and paper costs.
Please note this is a digital download PDF file, not a paper sewing pattern. Please download immediately after check out.