For any little one starting school, a new bag is a must! It builds the excitement and sense of adventure and the Southampton backpack is a perfect size to carry the essentials. But something appeared to be missing…a pencil case was also needed and it had to match! The designer remembers getting pencils on the first day of school (she has remained an art supply addict ever since) and having somewhere pretty to store them was extra special.
So this pattern has a matching pencil case which is quick and easy to make from scraps. And you have time to make both before school starts!
Confident beginner with some knowledge assumed.
Backpack = 9″ wide by 9 ½” tall by 3″ deep.
Pencil Case = 8 1/2″ wide by 4″ tall with a slim profile.
Quilting weight cotton, denim, canvas, furnishing fabrics, linen, needle cord, waxed cotton, oilcloth.
All supplies give enough for the bag and the pencil case
- ½ a yard of canvas or similar weight fabric,
- ½ a yard of lightweight denim for the lining,
- All interfacing by Vlieseline,
- ½ a yard of Style-vil foam interfacing,
- ½ a yard of H630 fusible wadding,
- FQ Decovil I Light,
- F8th S320 fusible interfacing,
- Two 1″ rectangle rings,
- Two 1″ bag sliders,
- Two bullet head (Sam, Browne) rivets for the front closure or closure snaps of your choice
- A piece of 50″ by 1″ wide cotton webbing,
- 10″ square thin leather or vegan leather for the straps and handle trim,
- One 7″ heavy-duty (#5) zipper for the pencil case,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
This pattern is very detailed. You will receive two patterns with altogether twenty pages with twenty-seven easy-to-see color photos and diagrams to illustrate the steps.
This is a measure and cut pattern which means that you don’t have any templates to print off and match up. You need a rotary cutter, ruler, and mat and you can cut the pattern pieces straight from the fabric. This is easier than it sounds because the pieces are all simple squares and rectangles. This pattern comes with some handy printable labels to help you to keep track of the pieces. Simply print them off, cut them out and pin them to the pieces as you cut them out.
Please note this is a digital download PDF file, not a paper sewing pattern. Please download it immediately after check out.