The Riptide Handbag is such a fun bag to carry and use!
The exterior has three slip pockets that use smaller cuts of fabric or vinyl – perfect for scrap busting and using favorite fabrics. The lining features a zippered pocket and a double welt pocket. The bag is perfectly sized to use as a handbag or a crossbody. It features a zipper panel closure and can be made from various fabric mediums such as faux leathers, vinyl, cork fabric or even quilting cotton.
This pattern is for the Confident Beginner skill level sewist. This pattern does have a few techniques that are newer to bagmaking but everything is explained very well. This pattern is domestic machine friendly as long as you use thinner vinyl or fabric – you’ll need to choose your materials appropriately.
11″ wide by 12″ high by ⅝” deep.
Video tutorial available – check out the video step by step sewalong here
• Exterior – pliable vinyl/faux leather, cork, linen or quilting cotton.
• Contrast Exteriors – pliable vinyl/faux leather or cork or quilting cotton.
• Lining – quilting cotton, linen, or waterproof canvas.
• Facing Fabric – quilting cotton or thin linen similar in color to Contrast Exterior.
• Woven Interfacing (light to medium weight) – Pellon SF101 or similar.
• Firm Interfacing – Decovil Light or similar.
What’s needed to make a Riptide Handbag:
- Exterior fabric (44″ wide) – ½ yard,
- Contrast exterior fabrics (three different kinds) – 12½” wide by 12½” high,
- Lining fabric (44″ wide) – 1 yard,
- Facing fabric – 20″ wide by 12″ high,
- Medium weight woven interfacing (20″ wide) OR (45″ wide) – 2 yards OR 1 yard,
- Decovil Light (17″ wide) – 3½” wide by 4″ high,
- Four 1″ D-rings OR 1¼” O-rings,
- (1 and 1) – #5 8″ packaged zipper and 14″ packaged zipper OR 21″ of #5 zipper by the yard and two zipper pulls if using zipper by the yard,
- 12 to 14 rivets for handles and bag (thickness determined by your materials),
- 2 sets of 18mm thin magnetic snaps,
- One optional zipper end,
- Two optional 1″ swivel clips for crossbody strap,
- One optional 1″ strap slider for crossbody strap,
- Recommended Supplies – rotating hole puncher, and a rivet setting hand tools or rivet press,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
The pattern tutorial:
With this purchase you will receive a PDF pattern with full-sized pattern pieces, detailed diagrams, a cutting list, labels to keep track of your cut pieces, step by step instructions on how to make your own Riptide Handbag and fun coloring pages to plan out your material choices. This pattern also includes an A0 file if you would like to use the pattern with a projector or have it printed at a copy-shop on large format paper.
Please note this is a digital download PDF file, not a paper sewing pattern. Please download immediately after check out.