The classic simple asymmetrical lines of the Orford bag are reminiscent of the inventive styles of the 1940s but with a modern Charlie’s Aunt twist.
It has a sloped top, front pocket, and an asymmetrical flap featuring a contrasting panel. In addition to the front pocket, there is an interior patch pocket.
The Orford Bag is a nice practical size for day-to-day use. It is made with two contrasting fabrics and is suited to anything from tweeds paired with corduroy or velvet for autumn/winter to heavy cotton canvas or patterned linen for spring/summer.
The bag is named after the Suffolk coastal village which has a rich history, including a medieval castle, links to the Ministry of Defence since 1913, and a famous lighthouse.
The Orford Bag’s approximate finished dimensions are – Height at tallest point 10” (26 cm), width at widest point 14” (36 cm), base width 2”/5cm approx. (5 cm), strap length approx. 39” (100 cm).
- ½ yard (50cm) of 60” (154cm) width, or ¾ yard (50cm) of 44” (112cm) width exterior fabric,
- 10” by 5” (25 x 13cm) piece of contrasting exterior fabric,
- 2/3 yard (62cm) of 44” (112cm) width lining fabric,
- 2/3 yard (62cm) of 36” (92cm) width firm sew-in interfacing (and optional of stabilizer),
- 1/3 yard (32cm) of 36”(92cm) width fusible interfacing,
- 40” by 5” (105cm x 14cm) of fusible web (or interfacing depending on fabric weight),
- One magnetic snap,
- One large button (approx. 2”/50mm diameter) or three smaller ones,
- Piece of plastic canvas for base approx. 2” (5cm),
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
This PDF has 25 pages—12 pages including the cover, general, cutting out and step-by-step instructions with diagrams, and 13 pattern sheets with the templates, which you must print and cut out. All of the templates are actual size and all seam allowances are already added. As three of the templates are too big to fit on one sheet, you must cut out and tape these templates together where shown. Instructions for this are clear.
Please note this is a digital download PDF file, not a paper sewing pattern. Please download immediately after check out.