This is an easy make and can be made with or without piping and wadding to suit your own taste. It is a handy size shoulder bag with two internal pockets one with zip pockets to keep your purse or phone safe. It has a flap secured by a magnetic snap plus a zip across the main bag opening for extra security.
This is an ideal project for using up that special scrap of left-over fabric with its front feature panel. It has three different fabrics; a main, a feature and a lining.
Square strap carriers were used to attach the strap which gives a professional finish. There are many styles of bag furniture available in an array of finishes from ultra-modern to antique.
As usual with this designers patterns, the use of wadding is optional but does make for a more substantial finish. This example was made using a combination of leatherette and cotton woven fabrics.
12″ (30 cm) wide by 9″ (23 cm) tall.
Intermediate. You will need to be able to insert a zip and insert piping. Full instructions are given.
- Main Fabric (Outer) 0.5m (1/2yd),
- Contrast Fabric (Feature) 1 Fat Qtr or scrap,
- Lining 0.75m (¾ yd),
- Polyester Wadding 0.5m (½ yd) (optional),
- Medium Weight Iron-on Interfacing or preferred Interfacing 0.25m (¼ yd),
- 4mm Ready-made piping (or 4mm cord if making your own) 3m (3 ¼ yd) (optional),
- One zip 30cm (12”),
- One zip 6”,
- Additional fabric if making own piping 1 Fat Quarter,
- Basting spray – available from Amazon or other retailers optional,
- Two 25mm – 1” Square Strap Carriers,
- One Magnetic Snap,
- Two Chicago screws – optional,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
Please note this is a digital download PDF file, not a paper sewing pattern. Please download immediately after check out.