The Letheringsett Messenger Bag is influenced by styles from the 1940s. This simple design features a choice of two pockets, one pleated, one paneled, and can be made with a two-part front and back, or all in one colour.
Letheringsett also has two interior pockets, one patch and one zippered. It is a good practical size and shape for everyday use and looks equally stylish in contrasting winter or summer fabrics.
Approximately 11″ (28 cm) high by 10″ (25 cm) wide by 2″ (5 cm) wide at the base.
- Note: You may be able to get the bag out of smaller pieces of fabric if you have time to experiment with layouts.
- To make whole bag in one fabric (with either pocket), you will need:
- 2/3 yard (60cm) of 60″ (154 cm) width or ¾ yard (65 cm) of 44″ (112 cm) width exterior fabric,
- To make with a contrast lower half, flap and pocket centre panel, you will need:
- 1/3 yard (60 cm) of 60″ (154 cm) width or ½ yard (50 cm) of 44″ (112 cm) width exterior fabric,
- 1/3 yard (30 cm) of 60″ (154 cm) width or ½ yard (50 cm) of 44″ (112 cm) width contrast fabric,
- To make with a plain contrasting pleated pocket, you will need:
- 9″ by 16″ (23 cm by 41 cm) of contrasting exterior fabric,
- For all combinations, you will need:
- 1 yard (96 cm) of 44″ (112 cm) width lining fabric,
- 1 yard (96 cm) of 36″ (92 cm) width fusible interfacing,
- ½ yard (50 cm) of 28″ (72 cm) width foam stabiliser,
- 40″ by 5″ (105 cm by 14 cm) of fusible web for strap,
- Piece of plastic canvas 2″ by 8″ (5 cm by 21 cm) for bag base,
- One magnetic snap,
- Two or three buttons depending on flap style (approx. 1″ or 25 mm diameter),
- 6″ (15 cm) zipper for zipped interior pocket,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
For this pdf pattern there are twenty-two pages. Thirteen pages including the cover, general, cutting out and step-by-step instructions, and nine pattern sheets with the templates, which you must print and cut out. All templates are actual size and all seam allowances are included. Seam allowances are just under ½” (12 mm) unless otherwise stated. Two of the templates are too big to fit on one page and therefore must be cut out and joined together with tape at the dashed lines, matching numbers where indicated. Instructions for this are clear. All patterns are in English only.
Please note this is a digital download PDF file, not a paper sewing pattern. Please download immediately after check out.