The Kensington Handbag is a super handy everyday bag with two exterior and one inner zipper pockets, one inner slip pocket, as well as a fabulous main zipper closure to keep all your treasures safely inside the bag.
I really love the idea of having two exterior zipper pockets and I keep my phone in one, and keys in the other one. Makes finding keys or picking up the phone when it rings so much easier 🙂
The inside of the bag is wonderfully roomy without feeling too huge. It fits one’s wallet, a water bottle, a book, an extra shopping bag, plus a few other necessities with ease. I made myself one of these bags a few weeks ago and I absolutely love its size and functionality.
I used leather handles when making my bags, but you can definitely use webbing if that’s what you prefer/ have on hand. I even included instructions on how to make your own fabric handles in the pattern if that’s the route you’d like to take.
Lots of zippers, can you tell I’m a big zipper fan? I love adding metal zippers to my bags but it’s totally a personal preference and nylon zippers would work just as well. So, if you like nylon zippers, please feel free to use those. I’m sure your bag will turn out beautifully.
12” tall by 11” wide on the bottom by 4” deep.
Exterior (Fabric A) – designer cotton canvas, Essex linen, cotton/linen blend fabric, denim, or medium weight home décor fabric are recommended. Waxed canvas could also be used (no need to add interfacing if you do).
Lining (Fabric B & C) – The designer used quilting cotton for the mainlining, but you can also use duck canvas (no need to add interfacing if you use canvas for the lining). Pocket linings work best when quilting cotton is used.
- Fabric A (main exterior) – 3/4 yard,
- Fabric B (lining) – 1/2 yard,
- Fabric C (pocket linings) – 1/2 yard,
- SF 101 interfacing (or other medium weight fusible interfacing of choice) – 2 yards,
- Two 3/4” wide x 26” long leather strips for handles,
- Two 8” long metal or nylon zippers,
- One 6” long metal or nylon zipper,
- One 14” long metal or nylon zipper,
- Four 6-8 mm rivets (optional),
- Cutting mat, ruler, and rotary cutter,
- Wonder clips and/or pins,
- Disappearing fabric marker or a fine chalk pen,
- Small sharp fabric scissors,
- 90/14 or 110/18 (jeans/denim) needle for your sewing machine,
- Leather hole punch + rivet setting tool (optional).
You will receive twelve pages of clear, easy to follow step by step instructions and color photos to make this fantastic bag.
Instructions on how to make fabric handles, if preferred, are included.
Please note, this is a MEASURE AND CUT PATTERN meaning all pattern pieces are cut using a cutting mat, rotary cutter, and ruler. No templates are needed to make this bag.
Please note this is a digital download PDF file, not a paper sewing pattern. Please download immediately after check out.