This is a simple sewing pattern for a practical and stylish mini-sized backpack. The unisex design is great for customizing to create your own version, and instructions are given for adapting the backpack to fit a child (aged 6+). This makes it a great make for ‘mommy and me’ addicts – why not make a matching set for all the family?!
The finished product is beautiful quality – fully lined with one internal pocket and bound seams – made using professional bagmaking techniques. Really practical and right on-trend, this cute little Backpack has lots of great features that make it the perfect gift for family and friends of all ages.
• Classic shape with a roomy interior – large enough to carry all essentials
• Great for day trips, shopping, or commuting to the office
• Practical secure pocket to the front with snap fastening closure
• Concealed zipper pocket at back with easy access: perfect for securing valuables
• Inner slip pocket for keeping things tidy inside
• Adjustable straps with a padded section for added comfort
• Optional leather or webbing carry handle
• Adult and Child sizes – and a great unisex style!
Sizing info: 9¾” wide x 10¾” high x 4¾” deep (child size 4¼” deep)
Adjustable strap length: adult size 26 – 33” (child size 18 – 24”)
Skill level: lower Intermediate – Experience of basic bag making and sewing multiple layers of fabric is useful.
Here’s Jess from OklaRoots showing you how to make the awesome Kandou Mini Backpack.
Main Fabric (42” wide): ¾ yd
Interfacing (20” wide): 2 yds
Low loft Fusible Fleece (22” wide): ¾ yd
Lining Fabric (42” wide): 1 yd
*Bias Binding tape (3/4” wide) 2 ½ yds (instructions are given for making your own)
2 x Zippers (metal or nylon): 1 x 18”* head-to-head zipper, and 1 x 7” regular zipper*
– (or 27” zipper tape plus 3 pulls zipper pulls)
Webbing tape (1” wide): 2 yds (adult size), 1 ½ yds (child size)
Hardware: 2 x 1” metal sliders, 2 x 1” rectangle rings, 1 x magnetic ¾” snap fastener
Leather Carry Handle (optional): 2/2.5mm (1/8”) leather strap – 1” x 9”, plus 4 x rivets (6-8mm) – you will also need the required setting tools
This is a fully illustrated Sewing Tutorial with Full-Scale Pattern Templates. You will receive 28 pages of clear, easy to follow step-by-step instructions and color photos to make this bag AND a set of full-scale computer-drawn templates – simply print, cut out and assemble the templates, then use them to make the size of your choice!
Please note this is a digital download PDF file, not a paper sewing pattern. Please download immediately after check out.