The casual yet stylish Duffel Backpack is a beginner-friendly pattern, with its minimal pieces making it a lovely quick sew! It comes in two sizes with two straps lengths making it a very versatile bag that will meet all your needs.
This nifty Duffel Backpack is a fun and easy sew that is ideal for all ages. It has a gently curved oval base, offset seams to reduce bulk, zip pocket, slip pocket and the straps cross each other to ensure the top stays cinched closed, although there is also a magnetic snap to ensure that’s it’s secure.
The Duffel Backpack is classified as a beginner-level bag sewing pattern.
- Small: 9″ x 10″ x 5″ (23 cm x 25.5 cm x 12.5 cm).
- Large: 11″ x12″ x 7″ (28 cm x 30.5 cm x 18 cm).
There’s a Sew Along with Mrs H on her YouTube channel that you can watch below.
What materials do I need?
This pattern works best in quilting cottons. Although slightly thicker fabrics will work for the Exterior, they will not work well as the Contrast.
- ½ yard (0.4 m) Exterior,
- ½ yard (0.4 m) Contrast,
- 2/3 yard (0.6 m) Lining,
- 8” x 10” (20 cm x 25.5 cm) Ultra firm fusible interfacing such as Peltex, Decovil 1 or Vilene S520,
- 36” x 12” (0.9 m x 30.5 cm) Foam stabiliser such as Vilene Style-vil or ByAnnie’s Soft & Stable,
- 1 ⅝ yard (1.5 m) Medium weight interfacing (Based on 90cm wide, narrower will need more) such as Pellon SF101, Vilene G700 or F220.
- ⅝ yard (0.5 m) Exterior,
- ½ yard (0.4 m) Contrast,
- ⅞ yard (0.8 m) Lining,
- 8” x 12” (20 cm x 30.5 cm) Ultra firm fusible interfacing such as Peltex, Decovil 1 or Vilene S520,
- 1 1/8 yard (1 m) Foam stabiliser such as Vilene Style-vil or ByAnnie’s Soft & Stable,
- 1 ⅞ yard (1.75 m) Medium weight interfacing (Based on 90cm wide, narrower will need more) such as Pellon SF101, Vilene G700 or F220.
Strap fabric & medium weight interfacing:
- Petite & Small adults: 4” x 72” (10 cm x 183 cm),
- OR Adults: 4” x 90” (10 cm x 229 cm).
Hardware & Notions:
- 1 x Magnetic snap,
- 1 x 8″ (20 cm) #3 Dressmaking Zip – If using continuous zipper, cut to 10” (25.5 cm) long,
- 2 x 1″ (2.5 cm) Rectangle rings,
- 2 x 1″ (2.5 cm) Strap Sliders,
- Double sided basting tape,
- Zip foot & Walking foot,
- Wonder clips,
- Pressing cloth,
- Pinking shears,
- Bodkin or large safety pin,
- Stapler & Staples (Optional).
The Duffel Backpack bag sewing pattern features easy-to-read comprehensive instructions, pattern pieces, and colour photographs. The downloadable PDF pattern features printable pattern pieces and a text only section to save on ink and paper costs.
Please note this is a digital download PDF file, not a paper sewing pattern. Please download immediately after check out.