Make your own carpet bag with the Companion Carpet Bag sewing pattern. The trickiest part of sewing this practically perfect bag will be choosing your fabrics!
Comes in two sizes – small (8.5″ frame) and large (12″ frame). You use an internal tubular frame to create this classic carpet bag shape.
The Companion Carpet Bag features a full width front pocket, which you can trim with piping or lace, bag feet, leather handles and optional leather snap tab. Inside there’s a zipped pocket and a slip pocket. The pattern uses an internal tubular frame, either 8.5″ or 12″.
This sewing project is suitable for pretty much any woven fabrics, from quilting cottons to upholstery chenille, and you can sew this on a regular domestic sewing machine. You won’t need a special machine to make this carpet bag.
This is a beginner pattern.
- Small – W 12″ x H 8″ x D 6″ (30.5cm x 20cm x 15cm).
- Large – W 16″ x H 10″ x D 6″ (41cm x 25cm x 15cm).
The Companion Carpet Bag sew along with Reece from Happy Okapi is shown below:
What materials do I need?
- 1 x FQ Main fabric,
- 1/2yd (0.45m) Contrast fabric,
- 1yd (0.9m) Lining fabric,
- 18″ x 26″ (0.45m x 0.91m) Foam stabiliser,
- 1 3/4 yd (1.5m) Medium weight fusible interfacing,
- 9″ x 5 1/2″ (23cm x 14cm) bag base (plastic canvas, thin plastic cutting mat),
- 1 x 7″ (18cm) size 3 zip (longer can be cut down),
- 1 x 8 1/2″ (22cm) internal tubular frame.
- 3/4yd (0.75m) Main fabric,
- 1 1/8yd (1m) Contrast fabric,
- 1 1/8yd (1m) Lining fabric,
- 20″ x 36″ (0.5m x 0.91m) Foam stabiliser,
- 2 1/4yd (2m) Medium weight fusible interfacing,
- 1 x 12″ (30.5cm) internal tubular frame,
- 1 x 8″ (20cm) size 3 zip (longer can be cut down),
- 12″ x 5 1/2″ (30.5cm x 14cm) bag base (plastic canvas, thin plastic cutting mat).
- 1 x 5/8″ (18mm) slim magnetic snap, 4 x 1/2″ (12mm) bag feet.
- 4 x Emmaline Diamond Strap Connectors,
- Double sided basting tape,
- Zip foot,
- Walking foot,
- Duct tape,
- Scraps of stabiliser,
- Fray check.
Can I use a different frame size?
Yes. If your frame is only 1/2″ bigger or smaller, then just use whichever pattern piece (small or large) is nearest and adjust the frame channels only using the calculation at step 40) in the pattern. I wouldn’t recommend adjusting more than 2″. Steps are given for adjusting if needed.
The Companion Carpet Bag sewing pattern features easy-to-read comprehensive instructions, printable pattern pieces, and colour photographs.
Please note this is a digital download PDF file, not a paper sewing pattern. Please download immediately after check out.